Narrative Essay


 Moving to Another Realm 

My family is a type of family that does not reside in one place for more than a year. My family keeps moving from one place to another, so I would sometimes, sarcastically, calling them “nomad” to refer to their sudden, frequent moving. They used to shift from working in a specific company to another in a sudden time. They had to move a lot from one place to another for various reasons that had to do with work, environment, and housing. Those moving events were always inside New York city. Once, I had to deal with a major move from our town to a completely new one, which made a great impact on me. Moving sounds a familiar experience to the most people, but mine is distinct. 

Moving to a new place felt like packing up my memories, my life, my ups and downs, my people and loved ones, and my inner self in a small bag and walk away. The bag that hosts all the things is not going to be opened again. The bag will remain there stored and not touched again. A new bag was needed to be filled with novel things that are not familiar, unwonted, the new people that would step in my life for instance. I thought everything is permanent. I thought that my friends would be my lifelong friends, no change. My house is nothing but a faraway place where my childhood memories are kept. The place that meant my life is nothing but a distant place I do not belong to anymore. 

The place I lived in was the total opposite of the place I moved to. I was living in New York. New York was a very big town that was full of towers and bridges and had every feature of any modern city. New York city was very energetic and full of people who would work day and night, and it would be full of life in the nights as the days. It was loud and quick. People there are always busy and have little to no time to finish the piles of works in order to keep up with the speed of life. People in NYC are from all the world and, mostly, were in exile. By this I mean, no one is NYC belonged to it, and the city hosted diversity of people from diverse places. This made me feel that I was in home. The place I moved to is in the countryside. I moved to Granville which is a rural city in the countryside of Ohio. It’s very quiet, distant, and with a few people reside in with 5, nearly, thousands of people. the place was full of peace and tranquility. This was the prominent thing I loved in Ohio.  The differences between the two places are noticeably great and prominent. It made me frightened, for I was not used to such a way of living. 

At first, I did not know how to react to a changing event, but fear was the one feeling I remember. Some people think that experiencing new things is a challenge and a good thing. For me this was not the case. 

My family had a major part of grabbing me out of this emotional trauma. They had never ignored their role as my parents and the impact of their emotional support on me. I owe them a lot for getting may back all the time and for being their whenever I needed them the most. Their presence soothed me all the time, and this made me grateful in the darkest moments. 

Moving to a new place has subsequent events that occurred because of it. I had to move to another school, to meet new neighbors, to mingle in a brand-new environment for me. I was not ready for this change, and I had to accustom to. I had to get familiar with the people there, their way of life, the system of teaching, the new room. 

The feeling that made it worse in me is the fear. The fear I felt when I experienced that everything had to be changed in a moment or so was indescribable. I would lose my friends, my school, my place I occupy, and the familiar weather and atmosphere I used to. The thing that was scary the most is the idea of starting over. By starting over, I mean is to start from zero of finding myself and trying to mingle with a new atmosphere. 

Then comes the real problem for me, the school, where I felt the greatest fear of not being accepted. I was scared to be rejected from the other students there. The fear of rejection made me retreat in myself. I would be individual forever, and that I would be all in myself, in my shell. In school times at first, I was a quiet student with no friends. Feels relatable? I viewed the other students as ‘strange,’ at odd people for just for being different from me. I distanced myself from all the others as I did not dare to talk to the other students. It was hard to mingle in. It needed me to make a step forward, but the fear and the strangeness of everything held me back. It stopped me from being myself and to interact with people. The fear of losing myself was the crucial matter. I did not want to lose my identity. Somehow, I managed to get out of this blackhole which was consuming me to the last. 

At last, I conceive myself after this event as a new person. This experience will never be easy for me. Moving to a new place made me move to a new side of me. I discovered many hidden sides that I have never seen in me. From this perspective, I think the experience has a positive side of it. 




Comments

Popular Posts